It's growing!!
Hello everyone,
This will hopefully be quick as we've now gone 30 hours without any power and the internet could shut down any minute now. As I type everything in our fridge is going bad and will start to smell very soon, luckily I haven't gone grocery shopping in a long time. And no, we still don't have internet at our house yet, we are now going on our second month of being told, "maybe this week you'll get internet".
Okay, I'm going to get some pictures up for you.

This is me looking dumb in the baby room. I had a shower middle of October. One of the gifts was a nice off-roading stroller. Can't wait to see how it handles those pot holes.

Coming home from my volunteer job with Kids Alive. I'm pretty sure a white, pregnant lady driving a motorcycle is something Dominicans see all the time. In case you're wondering how far along I am, I'm 34 weeks, or 7.5 months in these pictures. 5 more weeks to go!!

This is our ever changing back yard. We started off with concrete and garbage, moved onto soil, then had sod, but only enough for half the yard. So we decided to do it like a checker board so it would grow together. Then we went and got a whole lot of cheap but gorgeous tropical flowers that will hopefully one day hide our fence. They looked like they were going to die, but have survived and are slowly coming back to life. In the meantime we found out that you could actually get sod in this country (we got our first shipment from a friend's yard). The sod man came over, looked at our yard, said that he had sod and would return the next day. He returned, but not with sod. He came with grass plugs. So inbetween the checker board we have long tufts of grass. It's really quite ugly but will one day turn into the beautiful yard I've always dreamt of.

This picture is of our mudslide that happened a few weeks ago. Around mid October Terry and I went on a short house trip with his class to the North Coast. When we got home Friday night we were told that there had been a massive rain storm the previous night and alot of houses had water in them. When we got to our house we realized that not only did we get water but alot of mud with it. The front patio of our house actually slants towards our house, and being very close to the street, all the water and sludge ran right through. Terry took the next day off work and with the help of 3 neighbours and numerous kids, it took most of the day to mop it up. Luckily Dominicans can do wonders with a broom and a hose.

This last picture is a typical neighbourhood occurance. There are a alot of kids around who are very eager to help out, especially if there's a hose involved, and usually an icecream treat from Terry.
We've been really enjoying the people and the neighbourhood that we live in now. It is still loud and the kids yell alot, but the people are great and always ready to help, even if you don't want it.

3 Comments:
Ok, that was entertaining! And Jill, you don't look like a dork in you baby room. You look great. You look happy. But I'm happy to hear that you're still the same funny and sarcastic Jill. Love the yard and love the pregnant white lady on a motor bike.
Jill, you look soooo good! I can't wait to find out who's in that belly! Do you really ride that motorcycle? Good for you!
I love the yard too,
LJ
Nice digs. With such a nice place and a sweet yard coming in, why would anyone want to leave? By the way....are you leaving??
Post a Comment
<< Home