Winter is Finally Over!
It's been a puzzle to us ever since we got here exactly when the seasons were. We soon discovered that asking people who have lived here for over 10 years doesn't help much either, it only adds to the confusion. The answer we came up with is that nobody knows. They are usually judged by the rainy seasons but that hasn't been consistant either. We've actually had people tell us in the same week that rainy season was just ending and the next person said it was just beginning. So, we've come to the conclusion that unless it's raining, it's going to be sunny. Yes, there are weeks when it seems to rain more than usual, but nothing crazy. We even tried to judge the seasons by the fruit. When we first got here it was mango season. One of our favourite fruits here is called "chinola" or passionfruit. Since I hadn't seen any in the fruit market I was eagerly awaiting it to come to season soon. But alas, upon inquiry I realized that I had just missed it. I just got back from the fruit market and was glad to see tiny mangoes back on the shelves.
The whole point of this ramble is that the other night Terry and I were joking about how we're sure glad winter is over. Coming from Winnipeg, and being the middle of February, it's still along time until winter is over. But remember how it feels when spring is finally here and the air smells better and the sun is hotter? That's the feeling we have now, only it's alot hotter. We were laughing at how in Canada we're so glad winter is over because it feels like such a long season and how we hardly felt a difference here. I did wear shoes and sweaters to work alot more but on any given day you could still pull out your shorts and go for a bike ride.
Because there's no other point to this entry I have included some random pictures that I've been meaning to post. My favourite is Terry's Physics classroom:





6 Comments:
I guess I never pictures Terry's classroom to be a grass hut. How cool. Or rather, hot and humid? Your (and I mean Jill) classroom looks much more civilized. I won't even bother showing you where I work - just picture any scene from Office Space - big room with lots of half wall dividers. I've managed to keep my stapler though.
See you on your next blog!
I don't know about you, but I like Terry's classroom a hellula lot better than Jill's.
Tash, please show us your office. I bet it will be funny!
Carol says:
I am really enjoying your blog spots. The pictures are great and it sounds like you are having a good time, even if you have to work once in a while.
Hellula. (Just wanted to try saying it.) Hellula. Hellula. Hmm.
Tyler is sooo sexy in that picture. I had it blown up for my desktop screensaver, it helps when he is away.
Happy Birthday Jill... Does 28 feel fabulous or what? Make sure you let us know what tropical activities Canadians do when they're in the DR. Wish we throw you a big, dorky party! Maybe post some new birthday bash pictures on your blog...
Miss ya!
Post a Comment
<< Home